Friction Welding Chemical Pumps Case Study


Chemical Processing


Bi-Metal Shaft


Positive Displacement or Centrifugal Pump Shafts


A leading chemical pumps OEM needed to reduce costs and increase machining capacity without compromising corrosive resistance of part or part integrity.


Utilizing The Friction Welding Advantage, American Friction Welding helped the customer realize a 75% savings and 35% increase in capacity by employing the following:

  • Friction welded Hastelloy C276 on 25% of shaft where corrosion resistance is required and replaced remaining 75% with 1018HR low-cost carbon steel
  • Reduced machining time with higher feeds and speeds on the 1018 material which increased machining cell capacity by 35%
  • Used full KanBan program to reduce customer’s inventory by 50% and lead-time to 3 days

Friction Welded Chemical Pumps OEM Shafts

Chemical Pumps OEM in the Field


American Friction Welding application specialists work closely with you throughout your project. Design engineering assistance, process analysis and testing gives you the ultimate cost solutions. Add comprehensive post-production KanBan inventory and logistical support services and you’re surrounded with The Friction Welding Advantage from AFW!

Contact us today to discuss your application in confidence and save with our unique capabilities!

Download as PDF

Contact American Friction Welding today for more information or to request a quote!