OEM Gear Manufacturing
A leading OEM gear manufacturing company needed an alternative to extensive lead times on forged gear blanks. The alternative needed to equal the strength and performance of forged product.
American Friction Welding, Inc. helped the customer make this part by joining three pieces of 8620 bearing grade rolled steel.
- Center Gear Blanks are cut from 13″ bar stock
- Two Drive Shafts are cut from 3.5″ bar stock
- By joining these two stock sizes to near-net-shape,
cutting of waste is eliminated
- The non-porous, grain-refined joint produced the necessary strength to meet the performance test on the part
- Lead times were reduced to four weeks or less and OEM throughput was greatly enhanced
American Friction Welding application specialists work closely with you throughout your project. Design engineering assistance, process analysis and testing gives you the ultimate cost solutions. Add comprehensive post-production KanBan inventory and logistical support services and you’re surrounded with The Friction Welding Advantage from AFW!
Contact us today to discuss your application in confidence and save with our unique capabilities!